These summery lettuce wraps from our friend Michele Narsinghani of Mom Under Pressure are everything (seasoning) we want right now: refreshing, plant-based and a fun weeknight activity:
“There isn’t too much to actually cook, lettuce wraps are perfect for this heat and who doesn’t love everything bagel seasoning!
I realize the ingredients here look a little random. A lot of my recipes come from utilizing what I have in the fridge or pantry right in that moment…hello, Mom Under Pressure! So this recipe was a mashup of flavors that I know work together plus a few things I wanted to either use up or simply experiment with.
Bite size tofu pieces are dredged in everything bagel seasoning and baked until crispy. Serve these up with fresh butterhead lettuce and top with sweet potato spirals, radish, and a delicious homemade peanut sauce.”
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Everything Bagel Seasoning Crusted Tofu
- 1 package 14 oz. extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sambal oelek
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/2 inch ginger grated
- 1/4 cup water as needed to thin out sauce
- 4-5 oz. Gotham Greens Butterhead lettuce
- 1/2 medium sweet potato spiralized
- 3 radishes sliced
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts optional
- 2 stalks green onion chopped optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Remove tofu from packaging and press between paper towels to remove excess liquid. Carefully cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- You can leave the cut tofu out for 1 hour to let more of the liquid evaporate. The tofu should be fairly dry before baking to ensure it gets crispy.
- Mix together everything bagel seasoning, cornstarch, and breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Evenly coat tofu pieces with 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil. You can do this in a large bowl or in the tray you are baking it in, but I prefer to use a bowl and transfer the tofu after it is seasoned.
- Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning mixture over the tofu and gently toss until tofu is coated evenly with the seasoning mixture. Transfer to a baking sheet if you used a bowl.
- Bake for 30 minutes until crispy. Flip after 20 minutes so all sides get nice and golden brown.
- While the tofu is baking, blend all of the ingredients except for the water together for the peanut sauce.
- The sauce will be a little thick at this point so you can slowly stream in 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water until the peanut sauce is smooth and pourable.
- Prepare toppings for lettuce wraps. You can store bought spiralized sweet potato noodles, or even roasted sweet potato in this recipe.
- Once the tofu is ready, assemble lettuce wraps with veggies and peanut sauce. Garnish with crushed peanuts and green onion if desired!
Full-time pharmacist. Full-time wife. Full-time mom. Chicago foodie, Michele Narsinghani, takes her love of fine-dining and reinventing classical Indian cuisine to make restaurant worthy meals at home. With little time to spare and hungry mouths to feed she is a mom under pressure who wants to show you how fast and easy cooking can be!