This deliciously healthy recipe bridges the gap between summer and fall, celebrating bright and zesty basil alongside sweet and savory butternut squash. Roasted maple chickpeas bring everything together, alongside a creamy garlic aioli that you’ll want to drizzle on everything.
Recipe by Elizabeth Palmer Califano.
- 1 butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 1 package Gotham Greens Vegan Pesto
- 1 package Gotham Greens Basil, chopped to serve
- Flaky sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Drizzle the insides of your butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place them cut side down on the baking sheet, and roast for 30-45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the thickest part of the squash pierces easily. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- To make the vegan garlic aioli, drain the chickpeas, reserving the chickpea liquid. Set the chickpeas aside, and measure out ¼ of the chickpea liquid. Add this liquid to a high speed blender, along with the garlic clove, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend on high for 30 seconds until smooth. With the blender on the highest setting, slowly stream in the sunflower oil through the vent, allowing it to emulsify. It will thicken considerably and turn white. Transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge to thicken.
- While the butternut squash roasts, roast the chickpeas. Place them on a baking sheet with the reserved tablespoon olive oil and tablespoon maple syrup, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine, and roast for 20 minutes until crispy.
- To serve, flip the butternut squash halves face up on a platter. Drizzle generously with Gotham Greens Vegan Pesto, your prepared vegan garlic aioli, and the crispy maple chickpeas. Sprinkle over chopped Gotham Greens basil to garnish, and enjoy!