Food Safety and Quality Assurance Supervisor
Gotham Greens has an immediate opening for an exceptional individual to oversee the food safety and sanitation programs at our two Chicago facilities. This role will be responsible for guiding implementation and execution of all food safety and hygiene programs to provide safe, high quality products that exceed customer expectations and comply with regulatory measures. As the supervisor, this role will partner with the Operations team to implement strategies that will ensure that the necessary tools, supplies, and equipment are available to perform safety and quality tasks effectively.
In addition, the ideal candidate is passionate about sustainable agriculture and embraces Gotham Greens’ core values and mission. Experience in the greenhouse or fresh produce or perishables is preferred but not required. This is an opportunity for an enthusiastic, self-motivated, and highly organized person to join a rapidly growing, innovative company that is disrupting the 21st century food system.
Areas of Responsibility
- Guide and oversee implementation of our food safety programs at our two Chicago facilities
- Continuously train production employees and supervisors on best practices and latest protocols in food safety and quality. Work with operations leadership to maintain, oversee and enforce policies to ensure employee compliance.
- Assist Operations team with food safety training
- Provide guidance to Sanitation Supervisor as related to: Environmental Monitoring, equipment troubleshooting, best practices
- Verify and assure compliance with established food safety and quality objectives through daily monitoring programs, employee supervision, and industry bench-marking
- Lead and troubleshooting, problem solving and change management as it relates to safety and quality programs
- Partner with operations leaders on driving continuous process improvement
- Work independently, but remain in constant communication with Corporate Food Safety Manager based in New York City
- Bachelor’s Degree: ecology, microbiology, or agriculture preferred
- At least 1 year of relevant experience in food safety and quality assurance
- Experience working with third party audits
- Strong knowledge of Food Safety and Regulatory requirements
- Effective verbal and written communication skills & ability to communicate technical information in an easily understandable way
- Knowledge of various pathogens and microbes associated with food production.
- Superior interpersonal skills; ability to influence and engage many types of people internally and externally to the company
- Experience in specialty food, agriculture, natural and organic CPG a plus
- Demonstrated ability to be successful in rapid growth environments
- Passionate commitment to company vision
- Appreciation of sustainable agriculture and food
- Strong knowledge of MS Office
The ideal candidate:
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Passionate commitment to the company vision
- Appreciation for sustainable agriculture and food
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings, and dips all year round to retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers. Founded in 2009, the company opened its first greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., shortly thereafter. Today, Gotham Greens operates 500,000 square feet of high-tech greenhouses across five U.S. states.
Our team of 350+ full time team members are hardworking, supportive, and passionate about sustainable urban agriculture. We work to create an environment that is caring, fun and collaborative. Gotham Greens offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
We are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding recruitment and hiring. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.