Facilities and Maintenance Manager
The Facilities & Maintenance Manager will oversee the maintenance program at our Chicago greenhouses and food packaging facilities. This is a hands-on role requiring technical and applied knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, with a focus on irrigation systems, greenhouse maintenance, and the installation and repair of production and manufacturing equipment. The Facilities & Maintenance Manager reports to the Plant Manager and Director of Greenhouse Facilities.
The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented designer and content creator who loves consistency, is passionate about sustainability and embraces Gotham Greens’ core values and mission. This is an opportunity for a detail-oriented, self-motivated and creative individual to assume a position at a rapidly growing, disruptive company in the 21st century food system.
Areas of Responsibility
- Coordinates and conducts maintenance and repairs of all company equipment including: greenhouse, food processing and building system equipment and grounds
- Performs preventative maintenance on equipment and proactively addresses areas of concern to minimize unplanned downtime
- Adheres to all food safety policies and maintains a clean, safe work environment
- Identifies the root cause for recurring issues and provides recommendations for corrective actions
- Maintains spare parts inventory
- Complies with established State and Federal Regulations, Environmental, OSHA and Safety programs
- Coordinates and oversees third party vendors as needed
- Develops budgets for projects, maintains detailed expense reports and is fiscally responsible with purchasing decisions
- Supports larger renovation projects from planning, budgeting, and implementation
- Works to continually improve equipment and efficiency of operations
- Sources equipment, materials, and supplies as required
- Performs additional duties as directed
- High school graduate or equivalent trade school credentials
- Ten years of experience in operations maintenance, including 3 years as a Facility Maintenance Technician or mechanic or equivalent combinations of education and experience in a commercial or industrial work environment
- Familiarity with reading interpreting blueprints, schematics, and one-line drawings
- Strong mechanical/electrical aptitude in areas such as HVAC, industrial electrical, plumbing, and/or plant operations systems
- Flexibility and interest in creative collaboration among cross-functional internal teams
- Advanced knowledge in power tools
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Outlook, Word, and Excel)
- Ability to perform under minimal supervision and exercise independent judgment in problem resolutions
- Willingness to work off-shifts, holidays, and weekends as needed
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings, and dips all year round to retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers. Founded in 2009, the company opened its first greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., shortly thereafter. Today, Gotham Greens operates 500,000 square feet of high-tech greenhouses across five U.S. states.
Our team of 350+ full time team members are hardworking, supportive, and passionate about sustainable urban agriculture. We work to create an environment that is caring, fun and collaborative. Gotham Greens offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
We are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding recruitment and hiring. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.