Director of Growing
Gotham Greens is seeking a Director of Growing to build out, manage and support its national growing team with the goal of maintaining the highest standards of crop yield and quality. The Director of Growing will play a key role in the recruiting and development of existing team members to build a strong pipeline of growers for future growth. Reporting to and working closely with the Chief Greenhouse Officer, this position will help build out and share best practices across our growing company. We are seeking someone with:
This role will be based in Chicago with frequent travel (up to 50%) to all greenhouse locations.
- 10 years’ experience growing in commercial greenhouses and hydroponics
- Extensive people management experience, ideally in a growth-stage company
- Experience in lettuce and herbs strongly preferred
- Proficient in one or more leading greenhouse control systems
- Strong IPM background and experience relevant to lettuces and herbs
- Strong math and chemistry skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- A strong network and connection to academic partners
The ideal candidate:
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Solution-oriented problem-solver
- Strong managerial skills to develop growing teams
- Excellent emotional intelligence
- Passionate commitment to the company vision
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings and dips all year round to retail, restaurant and foodservice customers. Founded in 2009, the company opened its first greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., shortly thereafter. Today, Gotham Greens operates 500,000 square feet of high-tech greenhouses across five U.S. states.
Our team of 300+ full time team members are hard working, supportive and passionate about sustainable urban agriculture. We work to create an environment that is caring, fun and collaborative. Gotham Greens is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.