Assistant Plant Manager
The Assistant Plant Manager reports directly to the Plant Manager and works closely alongside the Head Grower, Production Supervisors and VP of Operations. The Assistant Plant Manager is directly responsible for the overall guidance and management of the day to day operations in the Greenhouse facility including but not limited to, packing and processing leafy greens and herbs, distribution and logistics of finished goods and overall management of plant operations. The Assistant Plant Manager is responsible for working with the Plant Manager to implement standardized procedures and protocols at facility in areas including: staff training and management, inventory; distribution and logistics; sanitation, safety and compliance.
Prior experience in the natural and organic food industry a plus but not required. This is an opportunity for an enthusiastic, self-motivated and organized individual to assume a position at a rapidly growing, innovative, disruptive company in the 21st century food system.
Areas of Responsibility
- Overall responsibility for the performance of the plant, including safety, quality, cost, productivity, and distribution.
- Manage direct reports including Production Supervisors, Receiver and all hourly employees.
- Provides leadership and training; Organizes employees.
- Collaborate with Plant Manager and Senior Grower to operate a productive and cost-effective Greenhouse facility.
- Implement SOPs and ensure that they are being adhered to as defined by Food Safety Plan.
- Maintain production and packing areas to ensure operations comply with company quality, sanitation and Food Safety standards.
- Coordinate with Facility Manager day to day repairs and maintenance
- Work with Plant Manager to maintain cost effective inventory levels.
- Communicate with Sales and Marketing to support continued company growth.
- Collaborate with Plant Manager to oversee the company’s quality program and practices. Ensure compliance standards are consistently met.
- Enforce GAP & GMP’s and provide proper training to all employees based on our SOP’s for our food safety
- Maintain and review quality reports/statistics to ensure consistent, quality finished goods.
Team Development and Leadership
- Develop and manage a progressive employee training program in line with company objectives.
- Ensure that SOPs are adhered to, improved upon where applicable and taught to new hires/transfers.
- Provide safe working environment for employees by maintaining the facility and equipment in an optimal working environment, and enforce adherence to safe work practices.
- Ensure employees have the right tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountability; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 4-8 years of relevant related experience in plant operations or manufacturing with proven success.
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and negotiating abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- High attention to detail; highly organized.
- Passionate commitment to company vision
- Appreciation to principles of sustainable agriculture and food
- Strong knowledge of MS Office
The ideal candidate:
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Passionate commitment to the company vision
- Appreciation for sustainable agriculture and food
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings, and dips all year round to retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers. Founded in 2009, the company opened its first greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., shortly thereafter. Today, Gotham Greens operates 500,000 square feet of high-tech greenhouses across five U.S. states.
Our team of 350+ full time team members are hardworking, supportive, and passionate about sustainable urban agriculture. We work to create an environment that is caring, fun and collaborative. Gotham Greens offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
We are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding recruitment and hiring. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.